Sunday, November 05, 2006

PLS 595 JOURNAL ENTRY 10

The first-versions of the SPSS databases for the surveys have been completed. I purchased a student copy of SPSS which limits me to 50 variables and 1,500 cases. I figure those limits will not put too much of a strain on efforts to keep the evaluation short and inexpensive. The largest of the 4 survey databases is 36 variables. Furthermore, the Center can look into purchasing a full copy later on. Meantime, they will use my student copy of SPSS as a demo. I intend on sending these databases to Dr. Jones to put a more critical eye on the database structures. I am also continuing to look into MS Infopath as a possible data entry solution.

I have always been operating under the assumption that I will have some data to work with. However, it now the end of October and no data is forthcoming yet. That does not bode well for any kind of analysis, but I think we passed that thresholdd even before two months ago when I gave Kevin the original surveys. We estimated from the beginning that a monthly sample size of 15-20 would be the most we could expect to get, assuming 100% participation. Getting a large enough value of n that might result in enough statistical power to draw any kind of conclusions would no doubt take several more months than we had even at the beginning of the semester. The point of the pilot test has always been to get the surveys into their hands and figure out what the problems are implementing them. Then, once the surveys are finished, data collection could begin in earnest.

I contacted Aly and Kevin several times lately to discuss pilot progress on their end. Other hold ups have cropped up. I blame myself for not engaging the problems sooner. I have been trying to set up meeting next week with Kevin and his crew to discuss ironing out the problems. Whatever it is that needs to be done, I am sure I can accommodate their needs. I do not intend to abandon this group after this semester. I will continue to volunteer for the Center until they feel more confident about monitoring their own program themselves. They will certainly need assistance with the actual statistical analyses when it comes to that, probably next year. I will look for another Capstone student to take the reins, as well, one who can help bring this whole process to a proper conclusion. This is a worthwhile cause that needs my help. I will not let them down.

No comments: