Monday, December 11, 2006

PLS 595 JOURNAL ENTRY 17

Lessons Learned

Under constraints and the influence of the evaluation team, the original vision for an impact evaluation had devolved into a lower level of investigation, program monitoring. Furthermore, much longer time frame would be required than was available even at the start of the project to show the type of program results that matter most. Nevertheless, the kind of practical, performance-oriented data that program monitoring offered The Center became the focus of evaluation efforts. That is what is called “a good start.” Simply being able to measure performance based on client perceptions is a huge leap toward more rational forms of accountability. Plus the habit of data collection is a good one to have. It not only sets a higher professional standard, it sends the message that programs that engage in it are to be taken seriously. Later on, that sets the stage for more elaborate forms of analysis, the logical conclusion of which could become a goal-oriented outcomes evaluation or even an impact evaluation if other agencies adopt the same progressive orientation.

On the whole, the experience of initiating and following through with the evaluation process has been a positive one, making my destination all the more enjoyable, confirming that the journey does matter. It has been difficult for me to single out the lessons that matter to me most. Certainly, some do stand out more than others.

  1. Expect the Unexpected: Orchestrating a team can be rewarding and highly productive. However, the flip side is that it is frequently frustrating and involves many unattractive trade-offs, especially in terms of processing time. Teams offer many advantages including breadth of knowledge, wisdom and due caution. However, they can also squelch creativity and impede progress. In this case, the team experience was a mixture of positives and negatives. Overall, the team came through in the end and help set my project agenda for the semester just in time. What I did not anticipate were the turf issues associated with interagency comparisons. That, perhaps, was the most frustrating aspect of the experience.
  2. Be Proactive: When it comes to project management, I have a tendency (like many of my generation) to procrastinate. In my own defense, however, it might be partly explained as a kind of self-defense mechanism I have developed given the crushing weight of my responsibilities. Arguably, I always get the job done in my own particular idiom. Nevertheless, I would never advise that anyone do things the way I do. I will say that when faced with such trade-offs, technology can be a real lifesaver. My use of the Basecamp to keep myself and the project on track is a good example of that. Even lo-tech solutions, however, can make a big difference, such as making to-do lists and keeping in touch.
  3. Set the Bar Higher: When I started this evaluation, I purposely set the bar as high as it would go. I knew that compromises were inevitable and that disappointment was the rule and not the exception, especially where ambition exceeds resources. Regardless, I would not change a thing. As naïve as it might seem to some, having a vision gives one a reason to go on when things go wrong. Without the moment of force that accompanies hopeless idealism, one might just peter out before reaching up just high enough to achieve that personal best.
  4. Become an Advocate for Your Mission: Having a just cause is everything. It sets the tenor for everything. If the cause is just, resources will not matter. As long as someone is a true advocate, it stands to reason he or she will encounter like-minded individuals. Resources will follow. In this case, anyone could see the needs were real and that the stakes were high. Though I may not be there to witness my success, I know it will come as long as I can get someone else to care as much as I do. After all, so much more depends upon this evaluation’s fruition than better performance data.

Ultimately, I keep in my mind the most important stakeholders of all: child victims. They are the reason why we do what we do. They are the legacy and mine is but one small part in righting one of the worst kind of wrongs. That bears repeating. Whatever challenge I may have to face, I will never have to bear the kinds of wounds that they always will. However difficult my role becomes, I have no better motivator than knowing that my hard work and that of the team will eventually help alleviate suffering and to take a stand for those who cannot stand for themselves. To me, that is an encouraging thought.

No comments: